Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 15 April 2012

Second Birthday Rainbow Themed Party

My daughter's birthday is in spring (even though the weather out here proved different, it was snowing) so I wanted to have a birthday theme that was bright, cheery and not to frilly. I of course have been all over Pinterest and saw a lot of great ideas for a birthday themed party. Here are just a few of the things I did for her party. I do wish I had taken more pictures, but once there was enough light to do so, I was too crazy busy with all of our wonderful guests!

Favours

 These are the favours I made. I took a few sheets of packing paper, but them, and made little rectangle pouches. Then I stamped them, and hand sewed them almost all the way closed. Finally I filled them with Jelly Belly jelly beans and gummy frogs. Great way to do favours on a budget! I will be doing this again!


Keeping the little ones busy...

 I covered a couple tables with paper then put out a few jars of new crayons. This was a good way to keep the little ones busy. I had high hopes this would keep them entertained enough that I wouldn't have too much screaming and running around, but alas with 10 kids under 10 that is bound to happen. The girls at the party really enjoyed this activity.




Decorations

 I wish I had been able to get a better picture of the tenting I did in the living room. I thought it looked great! And it is another idea on a budget. Buy the large plastic table clothes at the dollar store, fold them in half and pin them on the ceiling with tacks. I will be doing this again! MUCH better than streamers!!!!
 I made up 16 tissue pom-poms and hung them around the house. These are also a lovely decoration to look at, and they don't cost very much to make. You can find the how to on the Martha website here.
 I wanted my son to be a part of getting ready for my daughter's special day. He is in grade one so just learning to read and write. I got him to tell me how to spell how old my daughter is turning, then I printed out the letters in block form, and he colored them in as a rainbow. I LOVE how it turned out, I think I will keep this in the memory box. 


The Cake!!!!


This by far took the longest to do out of anything, but worth every bit of time. I made the cake from scratch, using a recipe my mom has used for years from Bon Appetite. It is called a Coconut Bridal Cake. Here is the post for the recipe. Rainbow Cake Recipe


I made two batches of my cake recipe and divided the batter each time into thirds. I used gel food coloring. It was my first experience with it and what a difference! I won't go back to the liquid stuff again.
 This cake was sooooo Yummy and Beautiful!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment