Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday 26 March 2012

Ground Flax Pancakes with Berry Sauce

Since I have started eating healthier I have also looked into foods that will help keep me healthy. I came across a few recipes that called for flaxseed and I did a bit of research on why it is so good for you. Flaxseed has numerous health benefits, it is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which can help control cholesterol levels. Flaxseed also helps with digestion, and inflation in the digestive tract. It contains lignans which help prevent the growth of cancer cells including prostate and breast cancer. Flaxseed can help with estrogen levels during menopause, it can boost your immune system and it helps with weight loss. 


When I first bought flaxseed, I bought the whole seed which does contain a lot more of the nutrients but it is harder to add to regular recipes. I recommend buying ground flaxseed. It is super cheap in the bulk bins, I bought a huge bag's worth for $2. 


With all of those benefits I had to buy some and like the Franks Red Hot commercials, I put that s$*t on everything! I made the kids some pancakes with ground flaxseed in it and they ate up the whole batch! Here is the recipe.


Ingredients



  • 1 tbl butter (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbl sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup of milk (or milk substitute, I use coconut milk beverage)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg

For Sauce



  • 2 cups of frozen berries
  • 2 tbl sugar

Directions

Mix together your flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add milk, egg and vanilla to your dry mixture and mix until lumps disappear. Heat up a pan on the stove over medium heat and melt your butter or coconut oil. Give your pancake batter a couple minutes to set before you add it to the hot pan, I find it gives the baking powder longer to activate therefore giving you fluffier pancakes. Add 1/4 cup of batter to the pan and cook on until you see bubbles raise then flip and cook on the other side. 

For the sauce heat up your frozen berries in a small pot on the stove over med heat. Once bubbling take a fork and mash the berries together, then add your sugar and stir. 

Serve your pancakes warm with some warm berry sauce on top. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment