Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday 30 March 2012

Spring Break

I was worried about boredom during our spring break because we weren't going anywhere so I kept us busy with these activities during our Staycation :)


Spring Cleaning

We are moving soon, so we took the first weekend of our spring break to deep clean the house. The kids got right into helping us. I asked the kids to get on their "cleaning uniforms" and then gave them each a set of tasks that were their "jobs" for the day. My son (6) had the job of cleaning mirrors and glass, as well as organizing his toys. My daughter (23 months) "helped" sweep, vacuum and encouraged many dance breaks. It felt so good to get the house in order and spotless....if only it stayed that way :)


Drumheller, AB



My friend and I took our children to Drumheller for the day. Usually when you go to Drumheller it is to see the Tyrell Museum, but we decided to take the kids to see everything else that Drumheller has to offer. Surprisingly, there is a lot to do and see in Drumheller outside of the dinosaur museum. We first checked out Horseshoe Canyon, it was super windy and cold so we didn't get to walk around and check it out too much but I was able to get a couple nice pictures. It is beautiful there, I can't wait to go back again and explore.


Next we took a look at The Rosedale Suspension Bridge. This bridge was used for the miners back in the day, and it's pretty cool to check out. I have to admit that it is a bit shaky and the chain link on the sides of the bridge doesn't seem to be kept up very well. That being said it was fun for the kids to walk across, once they got over the fear ;)






After the bridge we checked out the Hoo Doo's. They have just started construction on a boardwalk pathway through the Hoo Doo's which will be nice to check out once it is done. We had a great time exploring here, there were tons of cool rocks and caves to check out.














This was one of the best day trips I have taken the kids on and besides gas all of these sites were free of charge which is awesome! We also found Atlas Mine, they do tours and train rides and will be open in the summer,  so we will be back in Drumheller soon! Here is a map that shows all of the great attractions in Drumheller so that you can plan your next trip!


The Zoo

We spent a day at the Zoo with some family and friends. If you don't have a zoo pass it is the best investment you can make with kids. We go to the zoo in winter, spring, fall and summer. They just opened the new penguin exhibit at the Calgary Zoo, it is awesome! You are so close the them they could reach out and touch you, my niece even got a surprise splash from one friendly penguin. The zoo is a good day out, there are a lot of different exhibits that are indoors so you don't need to worry about the weather, and then there is a large area to walk around outside, including a couple playgrounds. My tip is to pack a lunch, the prices for food are outrageous, save your money for the soft serve ice cream, it is honestly the best in the city! 








Puppet Show

I had the kids home one of the days along with some of the children I watch for my neighbour. I had taken the kids to the playground to burn their energy, but it seems that the walk home energized them again. I thought of the idea of a getting them to practice a puppet show while I made lunch and then they could put it on for me after lunch. This turned out to be a huge hit! It's amazing to see how their minds work, I really enjoyed watching the final product and they continued to play puppets throughout the day.



Light Show Bath

I saw this on pinterest along the way, and a few friends have posted this on their facebook as well. So on one of our indoor days we filled up the bath tub and had a light show! 




All you need are some dollar store glow sticks and a dark bathroom. Enjoy this one, it is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment